Sunday, September 9, 2007

The birds, the bees, and the knitted

I'm still working on the Math Whiz socks, well actually, I haven't touched them all week because I started on the Japanese Feather Scarf. I'm using Fearless Fiber's laceweight merino in Hendrix, which is gorgeous and super soft. I really can't say enough nice things about Deb's yarns, they are wonderful, and she seems like a great person. Here's her blog. Back to the scarf...I love it. I can't wait for it to be finished (and for it to get cold) so I can wear it. This is actually my first lace piece, so I'm really excited about it. I was intimidated by it at first, but it's going well. The pattern is actually really easy. I'm mildly concerned about blocking it, but I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. It's actually inspired me to do more lace knitting, so I finally bought the Honeybee Stole. I actually bought the kit because it just seemed easier that way, and I really loved one of the colors they were offering it in. I still have no idea what I will do with a stole, but I guess I will figure that out later. It's just so pretty. Mike keeps saying that stoles remind him of old ladies, but I think it's all about how you wear it. He does agree that the Honeybee is a beautiful stole though. I have plans to break apart the pattern and knit scarves with the different types of bee sections, but I'm going to make the whole stole first.

Speaking of bees, we found a drone honey bee yesterday. Mike taught me a lot about drones (his father used to keep honey bees when he was a kid). I had no idea that drones didn't have stingers. Also, he said that once they mate, drones are not allowed back into the hive. So basically they die. I wanted to know more...well actually I just was looking for drone pictures...so I looked on wikipedia. Turns out, Mike didn't have it quit right. Maybe his father didn't know, or maybe his father didn't tell him the complete truth because the complete truth is terrifying, especially to a boy in elementary school (although his parents seem pretty open...so I doubt that). It's not quite as terrifying as preying mantis mating habits, but terrifying none the less. Here's why they die after mating:
"Should a drone succeed in mating it will soon die because the penis and associated abdominal tissues are ripped from the drone's body at sexual intercourse."
The drone we found was obviously dying, you could tell because it was having trouble flying. Nature is strange.
On the pleasant side of nature, the butterflies are out. They are beautiful. They don't seem to be afraid of people, or much of anything, although I'm sure they're afraid of something.

It occurred to me that I have never mentioned my pets on here. I have 3 dogs (Italian Greyhound, Papillion, German Shepherd), 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, and 1 betta fish. Yeah, we're crazy animal people. I love my pets...they keep me sane. Ok, well sometimes they drive me a little crazy too.

I'll leave you with a few pictures. Here are some teasers for the Math Whiz socks, my small stitch markers, and one of my orchids.






*note: I did not create the Chinese kitty stitch markers, I bought them from Acloset and restrung them on my own findings. Those are for my personal use, and would never be sold on etsy (assuming I ever get my shop up and running). I would love to make stitch markers with those Chinese lucky cat beads, but I can not find a source for them. If you know of a place I can order them, please let me know.



Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

SYLVIE said...

I too bought the Honey Bee stole, I bought mine from Wooly Wonka and chose the Buckwheat Honey colorway. I'm still waiting for my package to come in the mail. I can't wait to get started on it, it will be my first lace project.

I like your idea of breaking apart the pattern and knit scarves with the different types of bee sections, I think I'll try that too, if you don't mind me stealing your idea :)