Sunday, August 26, 2007

Yet more impusle shopping and a bit of knitting neurosis

I'm getting excited about my etsy shop again. You don't really have to click the link...my shop is still empty. I was scared for a while, but I think I'm getting better now. I've come to the decision to sell the pendants that I have made (and have millions of) as well as stitch markers. I've been making prototype stitch markers for myself and I've really enjoyed using them. It's still going to be a little while before I get up and running because the hubby still has to design my shop, and I now have to get a bunch of supplies for stitch markers. Plus we have a ton of pictures to take. But hey, at least I'm working on it again.

My Math Whiz sock is coming along. I'm about to start working on the toe of the first sock. It's a great pattern and I've really enjoyed knitting it. The only complaint I have about it is the heel. I was completely baffled by the heel, but that may have been me. This is my first short row heel, so it probably was me. Upon completing the heel I promptly ordered Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' book on socks which arrive yesterday. I spent a while looking through it, and while it was completely overwhelming for a sock newbie, I finally found the step by step instructions and they looked easy. After I finish my Math Whiz socks, I plan to try out a plain sock using her instructions so I can hopefully understand what I am doing better. I'm excited about this book because it should teach me how to make a sock without a pattern, which then means I can buy a lace book and start making my own patterns! I have to admit, her heel sounds a bit easier than the heel in the Math Whiz pattern, but like I said, it's not the pattern, it's me. Apparently wrap and turns give me panic attacks, even though she writes out step by step how to do them. I really think the problem is that I don't understand what I am doing when I do a short row heel. I don't like just following the pattern line by line, I like to know the concept of how each line is forming and shaping the garment. I think that's why I nearly had panic attacks during the heel on the Math Whiz. I had no idea what I was doing or how it was supposed to look. Yeah...I'm neurotic.

I really really love my knitting bag from Piddleloop. I love it so much, I've already ordered another one:

It fits my sock project with room to spare, so I think it would be big enough to hold a scarf but probably not big enough for a stole or shawl, and definitely not big enough for a sweater. Seriously, order one of her pouches, you won't regret it.

I've finally squared away an orchid order with Woodstream Orchids. You usually end up having to email them and they tell you the availability, so it takes a little while to square away an order. I'm really excited because I am finally getting my holy grail of orchids. I have been fighting with myself about whether or not to get it because if it dies, I will be crushed. But, I finally decided to get it:

Phrag Tickled Pink

I am also getting this (they have a minimum order requirement). As you can tell, I have a thing for the pink ones.


Paph Kevin Porter
(Both orchid images are from woodstreamorchids.com)

That's all.

3 comments:

Seth McLean said...

Hey, check this out:
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/07/diy_light_box.html

It might be handy for taking product shots. Give a nice, clean background with even, diffused lighting.

MissMorbus said...

Thanks! That actually does help.

Lick My Sticks said...

I just favorite'd your shop so I can keep an eye on it!